Immersive Apprentice Experience
With Lia Suzuki Sensei
6th dan Aikikai
Take your practice to a new level. Create the best version of yourself.
Now is the time.
Daily training and involvement in all aspects of the dojo will help you embody the principles of Aikido, building your confidence.
Truly immersing one’s self in the study of Aikido can bring great change. This program is designed to bring you to self-actualization.
Embodiment of Peace
Aikido training has the power to bring the practitioner to new levels of inner peace.
Thanks to a full training schedule, you’ll see your Aikido progress accelerated dramatically.
As a Kenshusei, you'll be eligible for possible "otomo" opportunities, i.e. accompanying me to seminars to assist my travel and teaching.
Accompanying me to seminars around the world will give you the opportunity to train with people of different affiliations and styles, bringing your Aikido to a new level.
(Travel costs separate. See below for details.)
Deepen Your Understanding
Immersion training in the physical, mental, and spiritual applications of Aikido will deepen your understanding of the art, bringing you to new levels of being, both on and off the mat.
Accelerate Your Progress
Reach Your Full Potential
Direct training with Suzuki Sensei and other top, international instructors will bring out your full potential.
Dojo Business & Management
Master the intricacies and demands of Dojo Business Management.
All kenshusei will receive training in the day-to-day operations to ensure your future dojo’s success.
Become a Skilled Instructor
Teacher Training Course
As a Kenshusei, you’ll be automatically enrolled in the Teacher Training Program, as well. This program gives you teaching theory, as well as hands-on practical experience to prepare you for opening your own dojo.
AKI USA Certification
Attain official certification as an AKI USA Instructor.
Official AKI USA teaching certification (Ex: Fukushidoin, Shidoin, etc.) is available for those who successfully meet the requirements and qualifications.
Here’s what you'll get from me:
- My total commitment to your development and success.
- Access to my knowledge and experience of 40+ years of Aikido.
- One monthly 1-on-1 interview with me (30 min. session).
- A direct “Whatsapp” backchannel with me for quick questions.
- Access to ALL my online training programs – MASSIVE VALUE!
As a Kenshusei, you'll be eligible for possible "otomo" opportunities, i.e. accompanying me to seminars to assist my travel and teaching. (Travel and meal costs are on you. Accommodation on you, unless hosting dojo is able to put you up, per my recommendation. Your seminar fee is covered.)
Here’s what's required from you:
- A mature commitment to your own Aikido development
- Familiarity with my Aikido and my approach
- The ability to keep your financial commitment
- The willingness to face the challenges of the Kenshusei path
- The openness to receive support and guidance
- Minimum rank of 3rd Kyu*
- Proof of medical insurance coverage, which must be maintained throughout the term of your training
- A resume, with educational and professional background.
- An interview with me
Here’s what will be required from you if you're accepted to the program:
- Aikido training: You will be required to attend all current regular classes, including a minimum of two youth classes per week, plus the weekly, special Kenshusei class(es).
- Seminars and Special Events: You will be required to attend all seminars and special events taking place at our Los Angeles dojo. You will also be expected to attend at least two of Suzuki Sensei's seminars at other dojo per year.
- Upkeep of the dojo: Your duties will also include taking initiative and participating fully in the upkeep of the dojo.
- Commitment: The minimum commitment is one year, after which time, reapplication is required if you would like to continue. (*If you cannot commit for 1 year at this time, please fill out the application anyway and state your reason. It's possible at this time that an exception could be made.)
- Admission: The first 3 months will be a probation period, after which time, upon favorable evaluation, you'll earn the title of "Kenshusei" and be officially admitted to the program. (*Candidates under the rank of 3rd kyu may also apply for the program but will have a 6-month probation period.)
My commitment to your development
Of course I'm committed to all my students. The time I spend with them is equal to their commitment to my training programs.
It’s not an understatement to say that my Kenshusei Program is a massive commitment. And my support will be equal to that commitment.
That is why I will be giving you more access to me than in any other program I offer. This access includes all my expertise, all my knowledge, and all my support and encouragement.
My time, however, is limited. I can only take on a few apprentices. I may need to be selective depending on the demand.
So, if you are interested, fill out the online application. I’ll send you a link to set up an interview (either in person or online) so we can explore if this program is a good fit for you.
Wishing you all the best in your training!
Lia SuzukiSubmit Your Application and Book A Call Now!
What people are saying...
"Lia Sensei changed my life. Her teachings in Aikido have had a profound impact on who I am today and continue to shape me everyday into a stronger, more grounded person.
Lia Sensei is truly a one-of-a-kind teacher. She is passionate to no end about Aikido which comes through in her thoughtful though very Japanese style of teaching. Her Aikido classes always leave me drenched in sweat by the end which I have almost never experienced anywhere else (except Japan!) They are intense, dynamic, and feel the way a martial art should truly feel, like a sacred practice."
"Lia Sensei spent years in Japan absorbing the essence of Aikido training and Japanese perseverance and grace from great teachers, and in turn she now transmits that depth of feeling to her students. Her fundraising and charitable works are exemplary, and she does lots with very little. She is admired from far and wide."
"I came looking for exercise I wouldn't get bored of and self defense skills, and while I still get plenty of training in those areas, the reasons I come to Aikido have expanded. I now find aikido training helps with emotional strength, mental clarity, spiritual growth, confidence, and even communication (or as we call it, verbal aikido)."
"Lia Suzuki Sensei is a highly qualified teacher of Aikido. She is one of the senior women in the United States in the art. Her training history is top notch and her instruction is powerful, clear, and personable. Very professional."
"I've found Suzuki Sensei to be a very effective teacher and martial artist. She combines quality of communication, technical proficiency, and a sense of joy in her teaching and technique.
I am also very impressed with her drive and commitment to improving access to Aikido programs for youth, especially those who might otherwise not have the opportunity to receive the benefits of Aikido training."
"I started training aikido in early 2009. Aikido was a good match for me as I wanted a martial art that I could continue doing my entire life. Unfortunately, I've moved around a lot since then - and while I've kept my Aikido up I haven't had one dojo as a "home base." On the other hand, I've worked with many instructors and seen a WIDE range of teaching styles.
Finally, once I arrived in LA I signed up for some intro classes with Kenkyukai to see if the dojo would be a good fit for me. A few classes later, I signed up for the year. Suzuki Sensei embodies many of the principals of Aikido and comes from a direct lineage of Aikidoka. What this means for the layman is she's "close" to the source. She's very skilled and deeply cares about the art."
Are you interested in applying?
Follow these steps to secure your spot.
PLEASE NOTE: In order to provide individual attention and close support for everyone, this program will be limited to 10 students. So if you already know that you are highly interested then I encourage you to submit your application and reserve your spot soon.